Did you know that August 26, 2014 is National Dog Day? This makes today the perfect day to do something special to celebrate your own dog or an even better day to give a forever home to a dog in need.
If you are a dog lover but don’t have a dog of your own to spoil and are not ready to give a dog a forever home, there are still things you can do to celebrate National Dog Day.
Things you can do to celebrate your own dog today.
- Give your dog extra love and attention taking them for a longer walk or for a car ride.
- Get your dog pampered with a spa treatment or doggy massage.
- Do an easy DIY art project with your dog using their paw prints as detailed by Spencer the Goldendoodle. Not only will you be spending quality time with your dog, you will be creating memories to last your lifetime.
- Give your dog a special treat, chew bone, or a new squeaky toy even if it means your dog will destroy the toy in minutes. One of our favorite places to shop for our dogs is Maxwell Dog in Studio City.
- Take your dog on a doggy play date with your dogs favorite doggy friend.
- Work from home to spend more time with your dog.
- Take your dog on a special outing to the beach or to your dogs favorite walking or hiking trail.
- If you don’t allow your dog to sleep on your bed, make an exception for tonight.
Have you been thinking about rescuing a dog?
Why not make that commitment today by starting your search in celebration of National Dog Day? Have you researched local dog rescues or shelters to see what dogs they have available for adoption?
Check out some of our favorite rescues groups local to Rufus and Delilah to see what dogs they have in need of their forever home.
- Road Dogs and Rescue is an independent rescuer who focuses primarily on brachycephalic breeds. Check out this link to the see the dogs they have available for adoption.
- The Brittany Foundation is a non-profit no kill organization. Check out this link to see the dogs they have available for adoption.
- The Rescue Train is a non-profit no kill organization. Check out this link to see the dogs they have available for adoption.
- Pet Orphans of Southern California is a non-profit shelter located in Van Nuys, California. Check out this link to see the dogs they have available for adoption.
Check out your local shelter for dogs needing homes.
- Check out this link to see the adoptable dogs at the Los Angeles Animal Services Shelters.
Other things you can do to celebrate National Dog Day.
- Look into being a foster home for a dog in need by contacting local rescues.
- Donate money to your favorite pet rescue.
- Volunteer your time at a local pet rescue.
- Start a collection of used pet beds or blankets to drop off at your favorite local pet rescue.