October is Adopt A Shelter Dog month commemorating all shelter dogs out there looking for a place to call home. If you are wondering why you should adopt a dog, there are numerous good reasons to adopt a dog versus buying one.
Here are 8 reasons to adopt a dog versus buying one:
- Shelter dogs are socialized and more affectionate. Most dogs in a shelter have previously lived with a family and are used to having people around them. They understand how to cooperate with humans and obey instructions very well. Many shelter pets are also well adjusted to children and are ideal for families. They’re usually happy to be back in a home with a caring family.
2. Adopting a dog is less expensive. Buying a dog from a pet store or a breeder is usually more expensive and can cost about $500 to $1000 or more while adoption costs way less ranging from $50 to $200.
3. Adopting a shelter dog makes you a hero! So many dogs come into shelters daily, and shelters can’t accommodate them all due to insufficient space, putting the shelters in a difficult position of having to euthanize dogs that do not find homes. Therefore, when people come in to adopt dogs, they are tagged, heroes. Not only have they saved these pets from being euthanized, but space also opens up in shelters to accept more dogs as a result of this gesture.
4. Adopting a dog from a shelter gives that dog a second chance. Most dogs in shelters have had a hard life. Some of these dogs have been abandoned or abused by previous owners. You can help wipe out a dog’s memories of a sad past by adopting, housing, and showing him/her love in your home. Every dog deserves this second chance making it one many reasons to adopt a dog.
5. Dog adoption is an efficient way to withdraw your support from breeding facilities. When you adopt from a local shelter, you withdraw your support from mass-breeding facilities. This helps put an end to animal cruelty.
6. You feel positive about yourself when you adopt from a shelter. When you adopt rather than buying, and take a pet home from your local shelter, you feel good about the humane step you’ve taken. The truth is that you are saving the lives of two pets with this act: the one you brought home and the one that will take its place in the shelter will both benefit.
7. Shelter dogs are vaccinated and neutered before adoption. Pet shelters are very careful about screening and caring for animals before making them available for adoption. Shelters spay, neuter, and vaccinate dogs before making them available to the public. You can be sure of receiving a healthy dog from a pet shelter.
8. Adopting a dog is an effective way of teaching children positive values. Adopting a dog is a great way to teach your children positive values by example. It can open a child’s eyes to the plight of homeless animals helping him/her learn responsibility and compassion.
If you still are not convinced with reasons to adopt a dog versus buying one, check out the huge smile on Pasha’s face in the picture included with this blog post. You better believe Pasha was not smiling like this when she was in the shelter waiting and hoping to be adopted versus the unthinkable alternative, euthanization. Thanks to her dog parents who adopted Pasha giving her a furever home, Pasha has a reason to smile like this all time and so do her parents.
Bringing a new dog into your family is an exciting time. We encourage you to consider your reasons to adopt a dog when you are looking for your next family pet. If you live in the Los Angeles area and you are looking to adopt a dog, check out the Los Angeles Animal Services website to see all the dogs, cats, and other pets available for adoption. If you do adopt adopt a dog, you may also enjoy these articles on Five Benefits Of Walking Your Dog Daily and Everything You Need To Know About Microchipping Your Dog to help ensure their health and safety.