Thinking of adding a pet to your family? Just in case “Because it’s the right thing to do” isn’t enough reason for you, we are highlighting, wonderful reasons to adopt a pet in commemoration of National Pet Month celebrated in the month of May in the United States.
Here are 5 wonderful reasons to adopt a pet rather than buying from a breeder:
- You save money: It’s not just the right thing to do; adoption is a reward. Pet adoption fees are generally less than the cost of purebred puppies and kittens from breeders. Aside from that, you’ll actually get a great bargain. When you adopt a pet, the cost of first vaccinations, spay/neuter, and sometimes microchipping is often included in the adoption price. This means you’ve scored a great deal—a cozy, furry deal who will thank you with kisses or purrs for many years to come.
- You select from a variety of pet breeds: Adopting pets from a shelter presents an invaluable opportunity to choose from a wide selection of breeds, some of which could be rare. Also, you could get your choice of any age.
- You save time on training: Most dogs and cats, particularly the older ones in shelters, have been house-trained by previous owners. So, adopting one of these pets saves you the extra time and energy that could be spent on training. In other words, you will be welcoming a home-ready pet with an already set personality into your home. This could be really cool – Even your floors will thank you!
- You are sure of your pet’s personality early enough: Unlike the uncertainty surrounding buying a puppy with respect to the type of adult it would become, adopting a dog that is a few years old or that is senior gives you the rare opportunity of knowing what the pet’s personality is and addressing any challenges that may arise early on. This is due to the fact younger dogs, especially puppies, don’t assume their full personality until they are up to 2 years old and some may grow to become misfits. This is eliminated when you opt for adoption bringing home a dog that is older than 2 years old.
- You will save a life and prevent cruelty against animals: A shelter pet is actually more than one in a million — he or she is one in 2.8 million! That is the number of adoptable dogs and cats who get euthanized each year in the United States, simply because too many pets come into shelters while there are too few people to adopt them. In short, there are too many animals and not enough homes. Now imagine if more people adopt pets instead of buying them, definitely the number of euthanized animals will be drastically reduced. Some of the abandoned and stray pets that land in shelters end up being euthanized just to create more space for others. Therefore when you adopt, you save an animal and open up shelter space for another animal who might need it.
Are you still in doubt? Shelter pets did nothing wrong. Most of them only ended up in a shelter because of a human problem such as a move or a divorce, not because the animal did anything wrong. Adopt a pet today, you can’t go wrong! Animal shelters and rescue groups are brimming with happy, healthy pets just waiting for you to take them home.
Hey, let’s not forget another cool reason to adopt is because of the bragging rights. No one needs to see another selfie of you—unless it’s a selfie of you with a newly adopted cute cat or pup, like the hero you are! Adopt a pet today, post the pictures and let the likes roll in. Then every year on the gotcha day anniversary you can post a flashback photo the day you brought home your adopted dog or cat on your favorite social media platform.
If you live in the Los Angeles area there are so many wonderful pets in need of adoption at the LA Animal Services Shelters. To find a shelter near you check out this link.